Gift-giving is a serious art form, and not everyone does it well. Remember those birthdays where you unwrapped a package from Grandma only to say, “Oh, wow…uh, thanks…”. Or perhaps you needed a last-minute apartment warming gift for a friend and copped out with a Ghirardelli gift basket.
At Miko, we’re here to help you elevate your gifting game with a thoughtful selection of products that will get everyday use and appreciation. Since Valentine’s Day is around the corner, and because everyone loves a great cocktail, we thought we’d share two simple – but awesome – gift ideas with you.
Put Bacon in their Bourbon (and a spring in their step)
Sure, you could give them a bottle of bourbon and call it done, but why not make your Valentine’s Day gift personal – and delicious? For a memorable twist on a classic gift, add some bacon to their bourbon.
Infusing the smoky, salty deliciousness of bacon into what is arguably the king of spirits is sure to earn you a Valentine’s Day kiss or three. All you need is bacon, bourbon, and a day to let the ingredients get to know each other. Here’s how to do it:
- 4 slices smoked bacon
- 1 (750 ml) bottle of their favorite bourbon (rye works too)
- In a large skillet cook bacon until done. Pour fat from the pan into a small bowl and let cool – you should have about 1 ounce.
- In a large glass bowl combine the bottle of bourbon, reserved bacon fat and 1 slice of bacon. Cover the bowl loosely with plastic wrap and let sit at room temperature for 5 to 6 hours.
- Move bowl into the freezer and freeze for about 8 hours or until the fat has frozen solid. Carefully remove solidified fat and bacon slice from the bowl and discard. Strain the bourbon through 2 layers of cheesecloth back into the bottle or another storage container. You could use our Dornoch Whiskey Decanter Set, for example.
*We borrowed this amazing recipe from Nicole @ Foodie Misadventures. So good!
But as the saying goes, it’s the thought that counts. So, if you’re ready to win the gift-giving game this Valentine’s Day, go for broke and become your significant other’s personal bartender. Here’s a recipe we made at Miko – you might call it our signature drink – and it is delicious.
Make them a “Breakfast” Old Fashioned
While you could serve this in the morning (Sunday brunch, anyone?), we recommend choosing the ‘breakfast for dinner’ route. It’s savory, sweet, and packed with love, and it pairs well with just about any Valentine’s meal you plan to cook up.
- oz bacon-infused bourbon
- ½ tsp. maple syrup
- 3 dashes bitters
- 1 thin orange slice
Instructions (the Miko 6-Piece Hammered Steel Bar Set is perfect for this)
- Muddle orange slice, bitters, and maple syrup
- Add ice and whiskey
- Shake a few times
- Serve in a rocks glass (garnish with a piece of bacon for added awesomeness)
Present your bacony masterpiece alongside the bacon-infused bourbon and it’s safe to say, you won Valentine’s day this year. Just don’t hold it over their head, because when you up your gift-giving game, theirs is sure to follow!
Like these recipes? Have questions about Miko barware? Leave us a message in the comments below!